Wire gabions are galvanized steel wire mesh compartmented baskets with a rectangular box shape. The compartments (or cells) are of equal size and dimension formed by diaphragms placed within the basket. The compartments (or cells) are filled with natural stone and the diaphragms minimize stone migration within the basket. Gabions are most often used in areas where ground conditions are inherently unstable and prone to shifting and sliding. Gabions provide a needed alternative to concrete walls that would crack or buckle under pressure. Wire mesh gabions are of two forms; baskets for retaining walls and mattresses for revetments and river linings.
Benefits of Gabions:
- Flexibility, strength, and permeability
- Low-cost installation
- Locally available fill materials
- Minimal equipment needs
- No maintenance demands
- No cure time, rebar schedules, etc.
- Rarely requires separate footings or foundations
- Bioengineering potentials
- Easily shipped and unloaded
- Filed customization abilities
For more information about our products, please contact us at WH Shurtleff today.